Eat Sleep DSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» "Poison Ivy"
95 Talon TSi - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 9:31 pm by AJracer33a

» Project Onyx
95 Talon TSi - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:46 pm by Onyx

» Hey Guys
95 Talon TSi - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:25 pm by Onyx

» WOT Tuning Basics
95 Talon TSi - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 12:08 pm by AJracer33a

» new to the forum/me member on fb
95 Talon TSi - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 12:52 pm by AJracer33a

» DSM beginner
95 Talon TSi - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 12:51 pm by AJracer33a

» 4G37 Timing Belt Install Gone Wrong
95 Talon TSi - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 2:02 am by SafetyAl

»  '93 7 Bolt 4G63T
95 Talon TSi - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:04 pm by crazyccustoms666

» My DSM History
95 Talon TSi - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 10:25 pm by pointblank9957

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:38 pm

95 Talon TSi

AJracer33a
    AJracer33a
    Admin
    Admin

Car : 95 Talon TSi AWD

2G 95 Talon TSi

Post by AJracer33a

So guys, I got my new DSM. 95 Talon TSi with a 97 TSi body. Her name is Faline and yes, she needs paint. But the body is great, interior is amazing, engine bay is clean, and all for $2000. I will list the long list of mods when I can but here are some pics until then.

Speedometer/odometer didn't work when I bought it. That's fixed. Bucked hard when I got it, that is pretty well fixed and she pulls hard. Fixed some boost leaks, deleted emmisions, and some other random stuff. This is going to be a very fun car and fun learning process as it is my first 2G.

Hope you guys like.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Resize_P170312_17141000054

Kurt and I
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Resize_P170312_16241000057

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Resize_P170312_17131000056

After emmisions delete.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Resize_P190312_1302100005E

Last edited by AJracer33a on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Share this post on: reddit

AJracer33a

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:57 pm by AJracer33a

Last night, took the Talon to the drag strip again. This time, with a 14B. Two weeks ago, I ran 10.2 with the blown T25, broken knock sensor plug thus having timing pulled, and 5lbs of boost.

My best time last night was a 9.3 (1/8 mile). I hit fuel cut just about every pass.

I have a bunch of pics and vids. The video I am going to show is the race against the 2012 Subaru WRX. He came up to me and asked if I wanted to race so I said sure. He got me off the line (AWD vs. FWD) but I pulled on him down the rest of the track. Hit fuel cut, twice, and he beat me by 0.0410 seconds. That is less than a tenth, needless to say, it was a photo finish. His time was a 9.3 and I had a 9.7. But my MPH was 5MPH faster than his.

He said he paid $30,000 for the WRX. My $2,000 TSi ended up beating his time later in the evening.

I ended up making 17 passes last night. oops lol.

Video is also on the Eat Sleep DSM facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/262815843744651/502928476400052/?notif_t=group_activity

Timeslip from my best pass.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 38e615f7

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 811e6272

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 DSCN0314

My beautiful daughter.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 C71d96a5

Yep, left her car seat in the back when I was racing Razz
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 2640c1a5
    93blackeclipse

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 pm by 93blackeclipse

Good job! I alwas like seeing cheaper cars beat the high priced ones. Glad you had fun.
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm by AJracer33a

Yep, i had tons of fun both times i have went. And my daughter loves it so that makes it that much better.
    Ev0Stev0

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:26 pm by Ev0Stev0

i see above you are talking about getting another intercooler.... quality over quantity. slapping a big IC on a small turbo car isnt going to do u much good, specially running low boost and not alot of power. people make the mistake way too often with getting a "big ass" IC (someone said it above...they like them big....that makes no sense, unless u just want it to look mean. it wont do u any good to slap a big IC in there in a plain setup.) if you want an intercooler to do you good pick up a garrett core or at least an ETS. garrett are by far one of the best, and ETS is close behind. ive seen multiple people switch ICs to ETS or garrett and pick up 5-15 wheel on just changing the intercooler. size does not always matter like people think it does. quality. to slap a big cheap IC on a 14b will do no good.

good to see you racing though. ill never understand people in the car world in general who build cars "for the street". like, go race it lol makes no sense to me. but i like your style, scrappy, make do with what you have, do what you gotta do, and having fun. reminds me of me years ago lol
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:52 pm by AJracer33a

Ev0Stev0 wrote:i see above you are talking about getting another intercooler.... quality over quantity. slapping a big IC on a small turbo car isnt going to do u much good, specially running low boost and not alot of power. people make the mistake way too often with getting a "big ass" IC (someone said it above...they like them big....that makes no sense, unless u just want it to look mean. it wont do u any good to slap a big IC in there in a plain setup.) if you want an intercooler to do you good pick up a garrett core or at least an ETS. garrett are by far one of the best, and ETS is close behind. ive seen multiple people switch ICs to ETS or garrett and pick up 5-15 wheel on just changing the intercooler. size does not always matter like people think it does. quality. to slap a big cheap IC on a 14b will do no good.

good to see you racing though. ill never understand people in the car world in general who build cars "for the street". like, go race it lol makes no sense to me. but i like your style, scrappy, make do with what you have, do what you gotta do, and having fun. reminds me of me years ago lol

Good info. So, my little IC will be sufficient for now?

This is my opinion on building a car the was once a street car/still is a street car. I want to build (moderately) my daily driver/street car. I have no intentions (right now) of building a drag car. The only time I will is when I build my 1G AWD up for my daughter.

I want a fast daily driven street car. Why? You know when you are driving your non-modded, non-sports car, non-fast car to work or to the grocery store and all of a sudden this ricer pulls up behind you with his riced out Honda, Interfooler, body kit, 6 foot tall wing, and fart can driving behind you like he is boss and owns the road? Then you think to yourself "shit! I wish I was driving the DSM (or Evo)!"?

That's why I "build" my Talon. To show up all them posers who think they are the shit. That (and my daughters blatant love for the Talon) is what keeps me going. Sure, I could have a 900HP drag car but if I am driving the station-wagon and that kid rolls up behind me, that DSM at home in the garage isn't doing me any good at the time.

And my daughter, she wouldn't be able to ride in a drag car nearly as much as she can the DD. She is always screaming "GO FAST!". I love it. And so does she.

I feel as if it is my "duty" to serve the DSM world and show people that DSM's are the boss. I can't do that all the time if it is not my DD.

Stupid, I know. I don't know why it is like this for me. Seems so much easier to just build a drag car and show off at the track. But, why not have the best of both worlds?

The only non-streetable race cars I will ever build is the Dirt Modifieds. I will always feel that is where I belong- on the Dirt Track going in circles. I sometimes feel out of place when modding my DSM. But, I love both worlds.

After all, I didn't give my daughter the initials "IMCA" (Type of Modifieds I race), no. I gave her the initials "DSM".

Sorry for the rant lol.
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:30 pm by AJracer33a

Took an engine pic today. Realized I haven't posted an engine bay picture since I changed my VC. Going back to the purple VC though (I get bored).

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 9306527c
    Ev0Stev0

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:31 pm by Ev0Stev0

i understand what u mean.

i felt the need to "show all posers up"...when i was 16. i dont drive like an idiot on the street. its stupid. and u race your car at the track anyway, so my comment wasnt directed at u lol. it was directed at people who modify ANY car but dont go to the track. like why waste 4 grand or something on a car you dont track? so you can street race? oh cool, yea real tough. that shits ignorant and as people get older they will realize that.

now when i see other cars what a wack or gay or stupid or whatever i just laugh. why even waste my gas to "show them up" or "put them in their place".... i just let them drive by and drool at me Wink

anyone can race on the street. takes more skill and a better car to run at the track over and over. im not going to say i dont play with other evos or sti's or corvettes or ferraris on the highway or anything, bc i do sometimes, but im not a fool and have nothing to prove.

but yes, your intercooler right now is fine for your little 14b. go do some research on cores and sizes and what you should be running. a correct sized garrett or ETS will help you WAY more than a HUGE random cheap intercooler. dont just put a big intercooler on because "thats how you roll" or "thats what you like" blah blah or whatever was said above. do your research and buy correct parts for your application

tongue
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:12 pm by AJracer33a

Ev0Stev0 wrote:i understand what u mean.

i felt the need to "show all posers up"...when i was 16. i dont drive like an idiot on the street. its stupid. and u race your car at the track anyway, so my comment wasnt directed at u lol. it was directed at people who modify ANY car but dont go to the track. like why waste 4 grand or something on a car you dont track? so you can street race? oh cool, yea real tough. that shits ignorant and as people get older they will realize that.

now when i see other cars what a wack or gay or stupid or whatever i just laugh. why even waste my gas to "show them up" or "put them in their place".... i just let them drive by and drool at me Wink

anyone can race on the street. takes more skill and a better car to run at the track over and over. im not going to say i dont play with other evos or sti's or corvettes or ferraris on the highway or anything, bc i do sometimes, but im not a fool and have nothing to prove.

but yes, your intercooler right now is fine for your little 14b. go do some research on cores and sizes and what you should be running. a correct sized garrett or ETS will help you WAY more than a HUGE random cheap intercooler. dont just put a big intercooler on because "thats how you roll" or "thats what you like" blah blah or whatever was said above. do your research and buy correct parts for your application

tongue

Yes, street racing is for all them Brian O'Connor wanna-be's. But, "playing" with ricers is fun. One pull, and I am done.

I will look around for those Garret/ETS FMIC's.

What all can you tell me about swapping in an Evo ECU? What is involved? Do you know anything about the 2Gb DSM ECU?
    Ev0Stev0

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 pm by Ev0Stev0

i know the 98-99 dsm ecu but i never had a 2g or put that ecu in any of my 1gs. i also never swapped evo ecu into my 1g but i have a friend who has. i can always ask him if he minds me giving u his email address. i know its not entirely difficult and its well worth it, especially if you can get your hands on an evo8 ecu for a decent price! no need for bullshit piggybacks then. i dont know how far things have come along but before you had to switch some pins and modify a harness. i think you may be able to buy a plug n play set up now. then u obviously need it tuned but you can get roms all over the place, tons of people have roms for evo8 ecus in dsms that are setup already. if you are serious about it just go big and get the evo8 ecu, especially if you want to learn to tune evoscan or if you want any tuner or dyno to be able to tune it as well. best bet.

p.s. the garrett cores are not cheap. ETS isnt that cheap either. my IC was like 700 new. granted i got it used Wink look for used stuff like that. but right now your IC is good. if you go with a 16g at some point or blow past 22-24psi like i did on my last 14b then invest in a good IC.

supporting mods are just as important as a turbo. my car made 7 more HP than a similar car that same day and that car had a BBK turbo kit in it lol and mine was stock, but he had a mediocre intercooler and BC cams or some bullshit, my IC and cams were better and it showed on the dyno.
    Ev0Stev0

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:47 pm by Ev0Stev0

p.s. why are u getting fuel cut??
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:50 pm by AJracer33a

Ev0Stev0 wrote:i know the 98-99 dsm ecu but i never had a 2g or put that ecu in any of my 1gs. i also never swapped evo ecu into my 1g but i have a friend who has. i can always ask him if he minds me giving u his email address. i know its not entirely difficult and its well worth it, especially if you can get your hands on an evo8 ecu for a decent price! no need for bullshit piggybacks then. i dont know how far things have come along but before you had to switch some pins and modify a harness. i think you may be able to buy a plug n play set up now. then u obviously need it tuned but you can get roms all over the place, tons of people have roms for evo8 ecus in dsms that are setup already. if you are serious about it just go big and get the evo8 ecu, especially if you want to learn to tune evoscan or if you want any tuner or dyno to be able to tune it as well. best bet.

p.s. the garrett cores are not cheap. ETS isnt that cheap either. my IC was like 700 new. granted i got it used Wink look for used stuff like that. but right now your IC is good. if you go with a 16g at some point or blow past 22-24psi like i did on my last 14b then invest in a good IC.

supporting mods are just as important as a turbo. my car made 7 more HP than a similar car that same day and that car had a BBK turbo kit in it lol and mine was stock, but he had a mediocre intercooler and BC cams or some bullshit, my IC and cams were better and it showed on the dyno.

Yea, give him my email address or having him register and post directly in this thread. That would be easier.

And that is crazy! Your stock shit pulled more HP than his Evo with those mods. Crazy. Great info though!
    Ev0Stev0

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:59 pm by Ev0Stev0

doubt he will want to join another site. i will get his email for you or vice versa if he isnt busy or if he wants to.

and yea, the kid wasnt happy lol but chad explained to him why he made the power he did. plus it was an evo8 not a 9 like mine. but yea, regardless...like 1600 turbo setup on his (factory housing, upgraded internals, CBRD in house upgrade), and i made more power lol.
    Ev0Stev0

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:09 pm by Ev0Stev0

so why do u get fuel cut?

and remove your power steering! who cares if its a DD, it will put some muscles on them scrawny arms of yours! haha Wink

seriously though, i ran no power steering for three years in my second turbo 1g. u get used to it quick. it only kinda sucks when parallel parking and shit like that.
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:15 pm by AJracer33a

Ev0Stev0 wrote:so why do u get fuel cut?

and remove your power steering! who cares if its a DD, it will put some muscles on them scrawny arms of yours! haha Wink

seriously though, i ran no power steering for three years in my second turbo 1g. u get used to it quick. it only kinda sucks when parallel parking and shit like that.

I hit fuel cut because I have my WG-J-pipe vacuum line rigged up so that the WG never opens. My MBC should be here Thursday. It was already shipped. So then I can keep the boost where I want it. Then I can go WOT finally.
    92tsifwd

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:50 am by 92tsifwd

You make a good point about intercooler size. I do like how mean mine looks but it is ridiculously huge and I figured I wont need that much lol. But it came with the car so I'm not complaining because atleast I didnt have to buy it lol. But it will be useful for a bigger turbo setup right?
    Ev0Stev0

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:10 am by Ev0Stev0

92tsifwd wrote:You make a good point about intercooler size. I do like how mean mine looks but it is ridiculously huge and I figured I wont need that much lol. But it came with the car so I'm not complaining because atleast I didnt have to buy it lol. But it will be useful for a bigger turbo setup right?

If it came with it yea then no complaints lol. yes it will perform better with more air and a bigger turbo. otherwise its just hurting the whole system. but remember, quality over quantity. some bullshit ebay intercooler or CXracing or turboXs all will not make as much power as an ETS or a Garrett.
    AJracer33a

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:05 pm by AJracer33a

Update:

Thursday on the way home from work, my driver side motor mount bracket broke. The studs snapped in half. Saturday, I found a guy with a bracket and mount. He let me have them, so Ryan and I took a trip up to NY with the Evo and got them.

Swapping the mount bracket involves removing the timing belt. Unfortunately for me, I no longer have my Jay Racing Timing Bet tools, so we had to do the timing the old fashioned way. But, we got it done.

My Slow Boy Racing MBC that a friend traded me came in as well. So that is now on the car.

Today, I finally found my problem to a recent issue I have been encountering (misfire at the top of boost and not being able to boost as much). Found a big hole in the IC coupler on the UICP. Replaced that with one from Lowes. Problem solved and tonight I ordered a couple of silicone couplers from ExtremePSI.

I also fixed my sticking throttle. The throttle has been sticking closed. Every time I let off the throttle, it would stick and I would literally have to kick the pedal to free it up. Needless to say, this got really annoying, really fast. So, I took my TB elbow off, sprayed some Carb Cleaner in, and scrubbed with a toothbrush. Problem is fixed. Most likely, this problem is due to all the oil from my last turbo entering the TB and gumming it up to the point the throttle plate would catch and stick.

Pics from the weekend.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 198e214a

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 E3182dba

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 38522337

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 3cf6ef0f

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 D74db059

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 4f572e9b

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 3c7a7e94

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 0d54efb0

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 40802d7e

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 7577a00a

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 7a7c7c70

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 A093f90c

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 466bc758

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 301e1554
    92tsifwd

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:59 am by 92tsifwd

Lol do you always have an audience when you work on your car? Hows she pullin now?
    Ev0Stev0

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:19 am by Ev0Stev0

in the grass up on blocks! wow i love it haha
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:30 pm by AJracer33a

92tsifwd wrote:Lol do you always have an audience when you work on your car? Hows she pullin now?

Ehh...people just like to have a good time Razz I guess they are there for emotional support?

Ev0Stev0 wrote:in the grass up on blocks! wow i love it haha

Yea, big change that I am still getting used to. 5 months ago, I had access to a very nice garage with any tool you could think of. Now, I do everything in the grass.

At least until I get up to my fathers and clean out our garage. 20 years of dirt race car parts just tossed everywhere doesn't exactly give me the room or organization I need. We have a 4 car garage but you can't even get one car in it right now. Well, one of the dirt cars is still in there Razz
    Ev0Stev0

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:07 pm by Ev0Stev0

clean that garage out then son! do work! in the meantime, doing what you gotta do (in the grass) is all u can do! props.
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:23 pm by AJracer33a

Yea. Maybe next weekend. I have my little girl this weekend. Last thing I wanna be doing while I have her is cleaning out the garage lol. It is definitely going to take a few weekends to do.
    AJracer33a

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 pm by AJracer33a

My timing belt failed last night on the way home from work. I changed the timing belt on the side of the road but I bent valves. Made it home by babying the car.

So, got a head gasket set today and will be installing my brand new 1G head that I have. Lots of work ahead of me.
    Ev0Stev0

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:24 pm by Ev0Stev0

might as well go get the head worked! lol
    AJracer33a

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:32 pm by AJracer33a

I wish. $$$$$$$
    AJracer33a

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:46 pm by AJracer33a

Pics:

Faline sitting awaiting her new head
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 C258b0ad

The 1G head
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 E031e7c1

Gasket Set
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 F44f2ed7

IC couplers came in the mail today from ExtremePSI
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 24a8ffa9

Timing belt that came off
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 005feb7d
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 678d52b3

Video of how she runs now with the bent valves
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Th_46314d32
    Ev0Stev0

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:29 pm by Ev0Stev0

your camber looks a bit off...hows your tire wear?
    92tsifwd

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:11 am by 92tsifwd

92tsifwd wrote:Be careful with them open headers man! Cops and bent valves are a huge problem with open headers.

Maybe theres a possibility the valves bent first and then the timing belt failed? Idk though because as you know I know nothing about engine internals. But I do know that open headers can cause damage. Happened to my 94 Eclipse.
    Ev0Stev0

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 am by Ev0Stev0

92tsifwd wrote:
    92tsifwd wrote:Be careful with them open headers man! Cops and bent valves are a huge problem with open headers.

Maybe theres a possibility the valves bent first and then the timing belt failed? Idk though because as you know I know nothing about engine internals. But I do know that open headers can cause damage. Happened to my 94 Eclipse.

I have never heard anything like this in my life. how would and open downpipe cause damage? to what? i dont get what you mean? Whats the difference if its an NA header or longtube? People run short pipes all the time...whats it matter if there is 4-7 feet of piping added on or not?

what "happened" to your 94 eclipse. you were running a header or longtubes and nothing after, and it "caused damage"........ please elaborate.

(not being a smartass, i just really dont understand what you mean or how its valid.)
    AJracer33a

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 am by AJracer33a

Ok so I have been drinking tonight so bare with me. Here is an update.

Today, I pulled the head. Surprisingly there was no contact from the valves to pistons. So the head is fine.

BUT, I was spinning the oil pump sprocket by hand and noticed there was something wrong. For one, it spun awfully rough. Secondly, there was a rubbing feel/noise. So I dropped the pan. Below is what I found- Balance shaft bearing.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 4aa72390

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 1d472ff9

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 3942e673

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 324979ad

And a couple shots up of my pistons and rods.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 10b8ed82

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 2a954ca8

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 9e27b716

And up top after head removal.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 92101df1

So, I need to delete my balance shafts. I lost my job today. So that adds fuel to the fire. And a small reason why I have been drinking.

More pics.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 4cfa909b

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 D1a050da

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 B8567947
    92tsifwd

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:37 am by 92tsifwd

Ev0Stev0 wrote:
    92tsifwd wrote:

AJ cleared it up with me today that it pretty much cant happen to a boosted car but I had a 94 eclipse 1.8L running off the headers and I had bent valves due to lack of back pressure. That is what I was getting to.

I have never heard anything like this in my life. how would and open downpipe cause damage? to what? i dont get what you mean? Whats the difference if its an NA header or longtube? People run short pipes all the time...whats it matter if there is 4-7 feet of piping added on or not?

what "happened" to your 94 eclipse. you were running a header or longtubes and nothing after, and it "caused damage"........ please elaborate.

(not being a smartass, i just really dont understand what you mean or how its valid.)
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:22 pm by AJracer33a

Update!!

Got the garage cleaned up. I started to remove the front case and then glanced at the engine hoist sitting in front of the car. So I decided to pull the motor. Pics.

Garage.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0336

Engine pulled.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0338

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0339

Engine.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0350

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0348

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0345

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0349

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0344

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0340

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0342

Took purple power to the bay.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0353

Found my oil return pipe was broke the other day. Flange snapped right off. Hopefully while working on it and not while driving it last.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0354

Front case.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0357

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0355

OFH.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0356

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0358

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0359

1G head.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0360

Head installed.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0361

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0363

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0364
    Kurt (92tsifwd) is here with me for a few days giving me a hand. Having a good ol' time.

Ordered my BSE kit and front case gasket set. I am looking rapidly for a 1G intake manifold since I am using my 1G head. Also need to get a 1G 4G63 NA water pipe.

Here is why I need the 1G manifold.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0365
    AJracer33a

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:39 am by AJracer33a

Update.

Kurt and I have been slaving away all week. We got my engine assembled, BSE kit installed, etc. Finally got it in the engine bay tonight and got it running.

It doesn't idle right yet, but we didn't have everything connected. Just wanted to get it to run and check for leaks. Didn't want to hook everything up and then end up having to pull the motor back out. And...that's what is most likely is going to happen.

I have an oil leak in the front case somewhere. With the BSE, there are many plugs and other blocking devices that need to be installed. So there are several things the that can leak.

Tomorrow, hopefully we are going to figure out what is causing the link. Here are some pics and a video.

Making of the FIAV block-off plate.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0366

FIAV.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0368

Engine.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0376

1G Intake.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0377

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0378

Painted the FIAV purple.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0380

Couple more shots of the engine.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0383

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0384

BSE kit and front case gaskets.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0386

Front case.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 6D6D1F7C-59CE-4D42-B500-9EA7FE512754-55091-00001AE3C7D03828

Engine shots again.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 C1FD7F28-1F78-4326-B45B-C3FD4496BBE6-55091-00001AE3BADFC654

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 5D318D2C-4240-416D-A890-D02A523B8126-55091-00001AE3AF16C4E5

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 CEE5BE21-90F2-4D70-9453-D08F2E4822EC-55091-00001AE3A2B34BE9

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 3231A746-AE96-40E0-BD9C-D3003D29CC66-55091-00001AE38CEB1B04

Videos.

AJracer33a

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 pm by AJracer33a

Update!

She is done. I ended up cracking the front case somehow. So I had to pick up another one. Found one for $30.

Here are pics of the cracks on the old front case.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0420

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0418

So, we got the new front case yesterday. First thing we had to do was disassemble the front case. I removed the oil pump and pulled out the rear balance shaft. Once everything was removed, I cleaned it up and scraped the gasket.

After everything was well cleaned, I inspected it for cracks. It checked out fine. Next, I installed my BSE kit onto the new front case.

From here on out, it was just putting stuff back together. We ran into some issues but all of which were not a big deal.

We had to install the front case, crank/oil pump sprocket, and install the timing belt. Before installing anything else, we started the car to verify there were no leaks. OFH was leaking but that was due to an untightened bolt.

Once the timing was completed, we put the accessories (power steering, alternator, water pump, etc.).

Engine mount was installed and the driver side of the engine compartment is finished.

From here, the suspension, coolant system, wiring, and others were completed. Kurt and I woke up yesterday at 11AM and having been up since. We pulled the car out of the garage around noon today.

Took it up the road, drove really rough. Bucked, misfired, etc. Then an intercooler coupler blew off.Fixed the coupler, found a leak in the throttle body (and fixed), and made a throttle cable adjustment.

We drove the car to Scranton today in the middle of the city as Kurt had an appoinment. No problems what so ever.

I also installed an aftermarket coolant temp gauge and my triple a pillar gauge pod. Pics of that will be coming.

I still have to do some tinkering with stuff. For example, coil pack needs to be mounted some how.

Here are some pics!

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 44BCC0ED-5DC9-40E4-8D38-288446C6629A-71363-00001DD4010FB851

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 86F4B951-C462-48D2-A323-3F5CD7F53480-71363-00001DD411FE8F8F

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 60774C31-4101-49EC-ABD8-70BE09D64A24-71363-00001DD424B23D73

Can't believe how low the front bumper is to the ground.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 B8E8AA41-AA8A-490D-B418-3C0F10953B3A-71363-00001DD43165CE2C
    AJracer33a

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:00 am by AJracer33a

Didn't do much work on the car today. But here are some pics of today after giving her a bath.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 87A0B978-690C-4470-A5E0-6FE81C3C54DD-73147-00001E475DA413BC

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 28C26BAD-8EDF-499C-87E5-2D17D0A8B4D4-73147-00001E474E6A0F15

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 73A635F5-4FF6-4891-8294-901B3A425873-73147-00001E473E8C4B5E

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 BF4650EC-78A5-41EE-9AA4-BBC269AC0B51-73147-00001E472C6DC6FA

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 93C3D1BD-2470-41E2-83EC-84E0E1F23CB3-73147-00001E46C3FB67CE

Our engine builder for our dirt modifieds wanted Kurt and I to pit for him tonight. So we went up. He is 74 years old. He did his heat race and could not handle the physical part of racing anymore.

It just so happens that I brought my racing suit and helmet. He asked me to race for him and I managed a 4th place finish.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 E260FA83-FE3E-4DC7-AE80-5F8EB4B6CEFB-73147-00001E46B8A0260A
    92tsifwd

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:02 pm by 92tsifwd

We busted our fucking asses bro. Finally feels like it payed off.
    AJracer33a

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:46 am by AJracer33a

Update

The Talon has been running pretty good. Pulls just as hard if not harder than it last did before I spun the balance shaft bearing. I know I have some boost leaks that need addressed.

Tonight, Kurt and I put my gauges in with the triple A pillar gauge pod. Looks alright. I need to paint the gauge pod black, but for now it is alright. The oil pressure gauge is not hooked up yet. Just put it in and wired it up so there wasn't a hole in the gauge pod.

Here are pics of the gauge pod along with some other recent pics I took.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0460

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0456

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 77B01C5B-7801-421A-8E1A-B8C573A9B868-73147-00001EC85E6EEF59

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 F6753433-B470-4E34-BC89-455B1AB55D2A-73147-00001EC856E875F4

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0448

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 IMG_0451
    AJracer33a

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:23 pm by AJracer33a

Update.

Haven't really done much to the Talon lately. Dealing with personal issues.

Over this past weekend on the way home from visiting my Mom (3 hour trip one way), my right front axle popped out. It was a nightmare. I didn't have all the neccessary tools with me like I usually do. I got the axle back in eventually, but the cirClip on the end that goes into the transmission broke causing it to pop out. That cirClip, keeps the axle locked in.

Today, I did a BLT. Found a huge boost leak at the throttle body. Took the throttle body off and fixed the leak. My FIAV block-off plate is still leaking though. I don't have a way to fix that. I might put the FIAV back on at some point if all else fails.
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 pm by AJracer33a

Update.

Decided to start painting the car white in replace of the grey. So, I spray bombed it. Got 6 cans of grey primer and 6 cans of gloss white. $1.59 a can. The cheap stuff. Here are some pics.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 22FEF962-B4AB-4045-AF82-9B362937E5B0-11732-00002E03B116DF78

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 08B23EE4-BFE8-44A8-A9FB-78544B9D8405-11732-00002E03C38E5173

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 4E1C705A-411E-4AAF-B631-4A49BA8192A0-11732-00002E03D499755A

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 392E6CCC-5A9D-49FB-BA52-CBBDC5B15973-11732-00002E04200E6A68

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 C47E7645-558F-44F0-BB95-BCA6287BEA13-11732-00002E03F816DF89

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 61C6D994-6657-4F09-A6BE-F5A3FED55BCF-11732-00002E043A7E2E1B

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 50AA2473-91F3-4431-88AE-DD93ADA116F2-11732-00002E0494338FB4

As you can see, I have only done the doors and fenders. The front bumper is not done yet. It started raining so I put it on hold. It didn't rain much though, luckily. I am going to spend a lot of time sanding and prepping the bumper. I am going to spray the hatch black too. Still have to do a couple of coats on the doors and fenders yet.
    AJracer33a

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:53 pm by AJracer33a

Update.

Did the bumper today. Was a lot of work. I had to use a screw driver to scrape all the grey paint off. Then sanded what I could. I have blisters, still cant feel anything in a couple of my fingers, but I think it was worth it.

When I finished the bumper, it was dark outside. So I got the best pic I could. I cannot wait to see it in the morning. I hope I am satisfied with it. Regardless, I no longer have a multi-colored car anymore. Below are some pics. I will be getting more pics in the morning. I still have to fix the left side market light since the part where the screw threads into broke. So, the light isn't held in. I will have to Jimmy-rig it up for the time being until I get a new one.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 CA7F733F-445A-4AFF-8E78-1CC7161668D6-2322-000000970CF6931F

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 849074E5-8BDC-423A-8C9E-494CA1FD8910-2322-00000096FC6B2D22

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 1FB3A620-DFCE-4154-A472-A156A00A9BDD-2322-00000096E889EC50

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 6C48F0DB-93DC-4026-92F8-189058BFE7A8-2322-00000096D8765E4E

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 5C9858F3-3782-4953-9637-5DF1B1192ACC-2322-00000096CDDDC285

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 889AEB7F-6421-4C73-A868-47B58A9B3232-2322-00000096C0309DE1

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 BEF61B6C-B990-49BD-887B-629D26741814-2322-00000096AFD7184E

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 D8FF36AD-01F4-42F6-B768-D8A250B0F6C9-2322-00000096A5493752

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 B1657F4C-AF8D-43AD-878B-3A78F3E6F669-2322-000000969202A48C
    AJracer33a

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:44 pm by AJracer33a

Update.

She's done. Got myself a Panda!

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 E90C53EC-7308-49CE-8E6B-D20E7D5A0D9E-2839-000000D189E1C70B

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 601BEE68-588E-4882-9408-83A954BD7F37-2839-000000D17FF2B068

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 81B801C3-4B3C-4FEA-949C-0A856D2871C7-2839-000000D03F8AE877

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 4E05806C-6CB4-4A00-B1D7-B2F34224F766-2839-000000D05A3DEE63

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 8DD51946-C146-49D8-8769-CB1B5A2510D2-2839-000000D020DACD3A

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 76064358-0C71-4D2B-977A-65C6F4E39ECC-2839-000000D01397EAA3

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 64CE3937-D18A-40CD-B031-28F0DEBA6FEC-2839-000000CFE622D7C6

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 D1071A56-EC7B-4DC0-9F27-0D2894DBDADA-2839-000000D0064D6DEA

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 08A98238-47A6-44DF-A89C-D531A3FB52A0-2839-000000D4682DE4C9

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 8C91A3CE-7D00-46CB-AE1D-5D718EDE9476-2839-000000D4520544C0

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 9F75A31A-A331-44E7-83FD-311A531F2C34-2839-000000D45CFE503E

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 9304C614-E007-42AC-A73D-3F6BE59CD487-2839-000000D449B8D17E

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 4AF1CF95-227A-4AF1-9651-0FB776055546-2839-000000D76CD58DC0

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 59AE7486-91B2-4247-A8CC-07E7980E0F2F-2839-000000D7631A1331
    93blackeclipse

Post Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:08 pm by 93blackeclipse

Looks great man! I love the panda look. Whats next on the list of stuff to do? Keep up the work!
    AJracer33a

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:28 pm by AJracer33a

Next is keeping it on the road and getting it ready for inspection. I need tires and brakes.

I need to replace the slave cylinder too since one of the mounting holes snapped off during a pull.

Some time when I can get a chance, I will be removing the FIAV Block-off plate so I can JB-Weld it back on. That should fix the boost leak.
    93blackeclipse

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 pm by 93blackeclipse

Ya slave cylinder problems are never funn. Tires and brakes shouldnt be too bad. Same with the block off plate. what kind of inspection are you getting ready for?
    AJracer33a

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm by AJracer33a

Remember that slave cylinder I was talking about replacing? Well I replaced it. 7:30 in the morning on the way to work! Fuckk! Haha. It's an easy job. There are a lot of cars that use an internal slave cylinder. That, that is a bitch to change. Ours, 2 bolts and a line. Bam, off she goes.

So yea, that is fixed lol. What do you mean what inspection?
    93blackeclipse

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:41 pm by 93blackeclipse

Haha nice. Road side repairs are always fun. And u side next was getting tires and ready for an inspection.
    AJracer33a

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 pm by AJracer33a

Yea, sadly, I am well prepared for road side repairs because I have to do it very often. So, slave cylinder is done. Next is tires, which my friend is selling me some used tires for $30. All 4. They are better than what I have. By the time I get the car inspected, they will be worn down pretty good. So I am just going to use one of these tires for now and keep the others for spares. Still need to find some good ones. Trying to find some winter tires.

Brakes are on the list too.
    AJracer33a

Post Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:48 pm by AJracer33a

Little update. Friday, my left front brake hose (inner) blew out on me pulling into a parking space. Drove to work and back with very little brakes. Litterally less than 5 seconds after it blew, I already had Advanced Auto dialing on the iPhone. I ordered a new one and it was in the next morning. So that is taken care of.

I also ordered a left front axle since mine is shitting the bed. I didn't pick it up yet. Have to pay some bills first.

I cleaned up the engine bay with is Purple Power and gave the car a much needed bath. She looks all pretty now.
    AJracer33a

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:49 pm by AJracer33a

12-10-12

Last week, I put Kurt's 18's on my car. He didn't want them to sit all winter and rust so he wanted me to put them on mine. I had to buy new rear tires for them. $238. They are nice, though they aren't a fancy brand. They are Nexen's.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 533912_10151165263552963_1903218068_n

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 GrandCanyon1

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 479748_10151172778182963_658996867_n

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Tires1

That is pretty much all I have done to the car recently. Over this past weekend, I went and visited my girl friend. While I was in the area, I bought a 2.5-3" exhaust off of my friend. He gave me some misc stuff like an aluminum radiator (leaks, needs fixed), short shifter, leather shift knob, etc.

On the way back home, I was going up a huge mountain. I noticed the oil pressure was a little low considering I was going up a mountain at 70MPH. It wasn't enough for me to feel too concerned and pull over. Then I noticed the water temp rising. I decided that if it got to 230*, I would pull over. It got to 230* so I began pulling over. Then there was all kinds of noise and the car died.

Long story short, the oil return pipe broke thus all the oil leaked out. Then the engine went ka-boom. My battery died since I had the lights on too long while waiting for the car to cool, so I pop started it. It fired up, then after about 10 seconds it died when I pushed the clutch in. So I went to pop start it again. The motor must have locked up during this. Needless to say, that was a pretty violent impact on the transmission. I snapped the bell housing in half.

Tomorrow, I am going up to the garage to tear into it. I am hoping to swap in Kurt's 6 bolt and 2G FWD transmission.

Crack on the bell housing.
    95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Bellhousingcrack
    AJracer33a

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm by AJracer33a

So i got the motor pulled out. The crack in the transmission goes from
    just below the starter to just below the slave cylinder.

I pulled the pan off and to my surprise, it wasn't that bad. Only small chunks of metal in the pan. And i mean small. Number 4 rod has play in it. But, not very much. I think i might be able to get away with just changing out the rod bearings. I know I should pull the crank and see if the journals are within spec, but i really think it is fine. I am going to pull the rod caps and see what the bearings look like.

The return pipe did indeed have a crack in it just above the part that flexes. I have
    two options. Swap my buddies 6 bolt in that has high miles or change my rod bearings in the 7 bolt and see what happens. If i use the 6 bolt, i have to buy a timing belt and auto tensioner. The oil pressure sending unit is snapped off of the 6 bolt so that is something i would have to fix. I also broke my slave cylinder too. Ill have to buy a new one regardless of which engine i use.

My 14b has in and out shaft play I noticed too. The engine was not as bad as i was expecting though. I thought id pull the pan and the crank would be in half. There was oil in the pan. Probably 2 quarts. But that could just be the 2 quarts i added after i pulled over.

I am not sure what I am doing yet. But I will most likely be reusing my 7 bolt. It is a solid engine and I just rebuilt it at the beginning of the year. I hope the main bearings do not have any wear on them.

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Picture002

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Picture011

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Picture009

95 Talon TSi - Page 3 Picture008

Post  by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:33 am