Eat Sleep DSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» "Poison Ivy"
How to change your spark plugs and wires EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 9:31 pm by AJracer33a

» Project Onyx
How to change your spark plugs and wires EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:46 pm by Onyx

» Hey Guys
How to change your spark plugs and wires EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:25 pm by Onyx

» WOT Tuning Basics
How to change your spark plugs and wires EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 12:08 pm by AJracer33a

» new to the forum/me member on fb
How to change your spark plugs and wires EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 12:52 pm by AJracer33a

» DSM beginner
How to change your spark plugs and wires EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 12:51 pm by AJracer33a

» 4G37 Timing Belt Install Gone Wrong
How to change your spark plugs and wires EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 2:02 am by SafetyAl

»  '93 7 Bolt 4G63T
How to change your spark plugs and wires EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:04 pm by crazyccustoms666

» My DSM History
How to change your spark plugs and wires EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 10:25 pm by pointblank9957

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:38 pm

How to change your spark plugs and wires

AJracer33a
    AJracer33a
    Admin
    Admin

Car : 95 Talon TSi AWD

How to change your spark plugs and wires Empty How to change your spark plugs and wires

Post by AJracer33a Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:16 pm

This is a write up on how to change your spark plugs and spark plug wires on a 4G63 engine. This is extremely easy. I personally, change my spark plugs every oil change (3,000 miles) and I change my plug wires every other oil change (6,000 miles).

At a minimum, you should change your plugs 3 times a year and change your plug wires 2 times a year.

Ok, here we go.

Parts needed:
    Spark Plug Wires (Set of 4)
    1G 4G63 http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=17644&cat=0&page=1
    2G 4G63 http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=17645&cat=0&page=1
    Spark Plugs (Set of 4)
    90-99 4G63 http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=19240&cat=0&page=1
    Anti-seize grease
    Di-electric grease

You can also find these spark plugs and wires at any parts store. For the NGK spark plugs, get BRP6ES plugs.

Tools needed:
    13/16 Spark Plug Socket 3/8 drive
    6" 3/8 drive Extension
    3/8 drive Ratchet
    Spark Plug Gapper

The picture below is the factory layout of the spark plug wires on the 4G63.
    How to change your spark plugs and wires CIMG20831

Step 1: Remove Spark Plug Cover
    Before you can get to the spark plugs and spark plug wires, you will need to remove the spark plug cover (if you have one). I believe there is (Cool 10mm bolts. You can either remove them with a 10mm socket or with a Phillips screwdriver.

Step 2: Remove Spark Plug Wires
    First, unplug the spark plug wires from the spark plugs/head. Leave the other end of the plug wires that plug into the ignition coil. Simply pull the plug wires off of the spark plug in the cylinder head.

Step 3: Remove Spark Plugs
    Next, you are ready to remove the spark plugs from the cylinder head. You now will need to use your 13/16 spark plug socket with extension and ratchet.

Step 4: Gapping your new Spark Plugs
    If you do not have a spark plug gapping tool, you can find them for very cheap. You need to gap each new spark plug anywhere from .028 to .032 of an inch.

Step 5: Applying Anti-seize
    To apply the anti-seize grease, simply put some on the threads of the spark plugs that screw into the cylinder head.

Step 6: Applying the Di-Electric Grease
    To apply the di-electric grease, put some onto the side of the spark plug that the wire plugs into (opposite side of anti-seize is applied to).

Step 7: Installing your new Spark Plugs
    Now you are ready to install the new spark plugs. It is recommended that you put the spark plug in your socket and carefully guide the plug down the cylinder head. You a small piece of paper towel inside your socket and then put the spark plug in the socket which would then be wrapped by the paper towel. This will prevent your spark plug from falling out thus making it easier to guide the spark plug into the cylinder head. You could also avoid all the hassle and just drop the plug carefully into the cylinder head. Doing this COULD mess up your spark plug gap (in most cases it won't). Once your spark plugs are in the cylinder head, you can now torque them in. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THEM. Doing so could cause you to strip the threads and cause many problems and you may need a new cylinder head. They spark plugs just need to be snug using the ratchet.

Step 8- Installing Your New Spark Plug Wires
    Each new NGK spark plug wire will be labelled with a number 1 through 4. In the diagram below, you will see the firing orders. The spark plug labelled as number 1 will need to plug to the number 1 cylinder which is the cylinder on the drivers side end of the vehicle. From left to right (if standing in front of your DSM) the cylinders are: 4-3-2-1. The other end pf the number 1 spark plug wire will need to be connected to the number 1 coil port. From left to right, the coil is to the following cylinders: 1-4-3-2. Please use this diagram.
    How to change your spark plugs and wires 89572G21L

Step 9- Check Your Work
    Now that you are finished, recheck your work. Double check to make sure each plug wire is installed to the correct cylinder and ignition coil port. Once you are confident you installed everything properly, you can then start your DSM. Once you start it, make sure it sounds like it is firing properly, doesn't missfire, etc. If everything is still good, you can then take your DSM for a test drive. Though in most cases you will not see any difference in power, it is possible depending on how rough in shape your old spark plugs and spark plug wires were in as well as the brand of your old spark plugs and wires.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 am