Eat Sleep DSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» "Poison Ivy"
my first dsm kinda EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 9:31 pm by AJracer33a

» Project Onyx
my first dsm kinda EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:46 pm by Onyx

» Hey Guys
my first dsm kinda EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 8:25 pm by Onyx

» WOT Tuning Basics
my first dsm kinda EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 12:08 pm by AJracer33a

» new to the forum/me member on fb
my first dsm kinda EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 12:52 pm by AJracer33a

» DSM beginner
my first dsm kinda EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 12:51 pm by AJracer33a

» 4G37 Timing Belt Install Gone Wrong
my first dsm kinda EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 2:02 am by SafetyAl

»  '93 7 Bolt 4G63T
my first dsm kinda EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 9:04 pm by crazyccustoms666

» My DSM History
my first dsm kinda EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 10:25 pm by pointblank9957

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:38 pm

my first dsm kinda

kingjafu
    kingjafu
    Proven Member
    Proven Member

Car : 1995 eclipse gs 420a

my first dsm kinda Empty my first dsm kinda

Post by kingjafu

this is how it looked when i first bought ... diamond in the ruff so to speak my first dsm kinda During11
    my first dsm kinda Before11
    my first dsm kinda During12
    Share this post on: reddit

kingjafu

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 pm by kingjafu

i wa not goin to drive it an hour back home like that so off to lowes i was to get a couple rattle cans...
    my first dsm kinda A_coup10

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:04 am by Guest

how much did you pay for it?
    kingjafu

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:29 am by kingjafu

i got it for 1200 basically bought the rims exuast and intake and got the car for free
    kingjafu

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 am by kingjafu

what it looks like now after a couple more ratttle cans to get it inspected
    my first dsm kinda First_10

kingjafu

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:35 am by kingjafu

wish it was still the origional burnt orange!

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:37 am by Guest

If I were you I'd ditch the body kit. Get a nice 2gb eclipse bumper and headlights, and 2gb rear bumper. If the body is straight, go to maaco for a quick spray. Also, you should get a high rise spoiler to complete the look. Unless you're into the whole body kit thing.
    Shake_Zulla

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:57 am by Shake_Zulla

A word of warning if you take it to Maaco though. You will want to sand off all the spray paint yourself. Maaco sucks at sanding and I doubt they will do a good job. You will want to sand all the spray paint off because it was solvents and binders that do not bond well with automotive paint if it is sprayed over. Just food for thought man.
    kingjafu

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:25 pm by kingjafu

well i was planning on spraying it myself so i will be doing all the prep work just needed it all one color to pass inspection and not have the boys hastling me ..just need some nice days to start sanding and filling and sanding and then basecoat
    Shake_Zulla

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:57 pm by Shake_Zulla

Yeah Im in the same boat as you. Is this your first spray job?
    AJracer33a

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:39 pm by AJracer33a

onefast2gdsm wrote:If I were you I'd ditch the body kit. Get a nice 2gb eclipse bumper and headlights, and 2gb rear bumper. If the body is straight, go to maaco for a quick spray. Also, you should get a high rise spoiler to complete the look. Unless you're into the whole body kit thing.

Shake_Zulla wrote:A word of warning if you take it to Maaco though. You will want to sand off all the spray paint yourself. Maaco sucks at sanding and I doubt they will do a good job. You will want to sand all the spray paint off because it was solvents and binders that do not bond well with automotive paint if it is sprayed over. Just food for thought man.

I agree with Cris. 2GB Eclipse front and rear bumper with a high rise wing will look better than any body kit. I would also get yourself an upper timing belt cover.

+2 on the sanding the spray paint off before re-spraying it. I made this mistake once on a race car.
    kingjafu

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:54 pm by kingjafu

i was trying to get the timing cover off a car at the scrappers the other day with no luck couldnt figure it out Mad any suggestions
    EvoDude90

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 pm by EvoDude90

what scrapyard? ever been to Gary's U Pull it?

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:29 pm by Guest

Ryan its harrys not garys lol. And that place sucks. EZ pull is a lot better, they have like 20 dsms all the time.
    AJracer33a

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:49 pm by AJracer33a

Gary's is where we go up north Cris. Kind of just like Harry's but not quite as big. Still big. But yea, Gary's U-Pull-It is where we go up north.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:00 pm by Guest

oh. Well so far the best yard ive seen is EZ pull. cheap cheap prices and the most dsms ive ever seen
    kingjafu

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:14 pm by kingjafu

yeah i went up there the first week i had the car i used to go there alot when i was redoing my ford and ill be up there on friday too i think garys is up in binghampton ny . i have been going to the denaples u pull here in scranton there are 4 2g's and one 1g
    Shake_Zulla

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm by Shake_Zulla

kingjafu wrote:i was trying to get the timing cover off a car at the scrappers the other day with no luck couldnt figure it out Mad any suggestions

Back on topic...
    The timing cover sucks mostly because an engine bracket is running right through the middle. What are you trying to get at and I can tell you what the best course of action will be.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 pm by Guest

I cant remember how i got mine off. I remember it was a big pita and involved a lot of swearing and twisting the bracket around.
    Shake_Zulla

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:43 pm by Shake_Zulla

Yeah It sucks if you need a new one for your car I would just buy one cause you have to get a jack and put it under the oil pan and remove the whole pas side bracket which is still a PITA. If you need the components inside and your at the just yard just break it... quietly. You don't want to use old tensioners and idler pulleys though as these are prone to wearing out and if fail could smoke your pistons and valves.
    AJracer33a

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 pm by AJracer33a

Wait, he needs the whole timing belt cover? I was just talking about the missing upper cover shown in his pics. Unless they are much different than a 4g63 upper timing belt cover?
    Shake_Zulla

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:36 am by Shake_Zulla

Judging form the pic I would guess he needs the back end of the timing cover (engine side) and that is a half that goes from top to bottom. Parts off the top of my head that need to be pulled to get to that include, crank pulley, whole engine mounting bracket, cam sprockets, all of the timing components and I believe the water pump. It's takes at least a few hours for the most experienced people with all the correct tools. Taking a crank pulley off a junk yard rusted car is a pain on the 420a.
    AJracer33a

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 am by AJracer33a

Wow. I have a feeling you will never catch me under the hood of a 420a ever again lol.
    Shake_Zulla

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:58 am by Shake_Zulla

Yeah the stupid thing is they don't make any aftermarket options on the cover. The frame side of the cover has a little window and a removable 1/3rd section on top most guys cut the top third off the engine side to match and have the top exposed. IMO the risk of having the top of the cover exposed is not that great and if you have adjustable cam gears it is easy to adjust them, however, I would not talk anyone out of covering the whole thing if they are worried about it.

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 pm by Guest

I had to use gear pullers to get crank Sri let off. I pounded the puller with a hammer for a bit and it came off
    92tsifwd

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 pm by 92tsifwd

Where is that located? I have been to Harry's but there isnt much for 1g's there. Morgan Highway in Scranton off of Keyser Ave has about 30 DSM's and the best part is.... they have their own section. But the guy is a total rip off, he once charged me $100 for a radiator for my 94 1.8L. If I wasnt broken down right out from of the junkyard I would have never bought it. Didnt really have a choice.
    deadazzdsm

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:26 pm by deadazzdsm

2gb front bumper and keep the rest Smile I like to be the odd ball on body kits. I hate almost all aftermarket crappy looking front bumpers. Personally the rear is not to my taste. But either is 2gb rears, always seems like something is missing IMO.
    kingjafu

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:07 am by kingjafu

yeah im afraid it might jump timing if a pebble or something gets in there its not likely but that is my luck ... yeah old man feigleman is a tight ass up on the morgan hwy im friends with his brother but that dont help either ... i kinda like the body kit now that i put the stock rear suspension back in
    AJracer33a

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:25 pm by AJracer33a

I never minded leaving off my upper timing belt cover on my 4g63. The bubble in the hood gives it enough protection when the hood is closed. Kind makes a little cacoon for the cam gears. Im sure oil, coolant, etc could still het in there depending where it came from. But its a personally choice. Id never suggest not using one though.
    92tsifwd

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:11 pm by 92tsifwd

kingjafu wrote:yeah i went up there the first week i had the car i used to go there alot when i was redoing my ford and ill be up there on friday too i think garys is up in binghampton ny . i have been going to the denaples u pull here in scranton there are 4 2g's and one 1g

Theres actually 2 1g's there lol. Theres a maroon 1GB Talon up in the Chrysler hiding in the back. As for 2Gs if you have seen a silver eclipse with the front end cut off.... IT WAS ME!!!! lol
    kingjafu

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 am by kingjafu

lol yeah i saw that one i think i got my struts and upper control arm off the same car .. i hAVE seen your car around before too i think i saw you at sheets in dickson city before

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:05 am by Guest

I'd never leave any of my timing covers off. Why risk getting the most crucial part of your engine damaged and wind up with a rebuild. Just my .02. And the hump in the hood won't protect shit.
    AJracer33a

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:47 am by AJracer33a

Find me someone that have broke a timing belt due to not having an upper timing belt cover on. The hump does protect it. Its impossible for any type of debris to go near the timing belt with the hood closed. There are many guys that dont use them. Street or at the track.

But again, personal preference. Only reason i like mine on is worrying about oil getting in there.
    Shake_Zulla

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:33 pm by Shake_Zulla

I agree with you AJ. My personal preference is to leave it on but I have never heard of anyone leaving it off and getting anything stuck in there. Only problem with the hump debate is the OP's car is a 420a so the hump is on the opposite side of the timing belt. If you want it on OP then I would take the time to replace the timing belt and components at the same time.
    AJracer33a

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:02 pm by AJracer33a

Shake_Zulla wrote:I agree with you AJ. My personal preference is to leave it on but I have never heard of anyone leaving it off and getting anything stuck in there. Only problem with the hump debate is the OP's car is a 420a so the hump is on the opposite side of the timing belt. If you want it on OP then I would take the time to replace the timing belt and components at the same time.

Which is why i was debating in reference to my 4g63 lol. Like i said, by no means is there a negative reason to keep the upper cover on. Only thing i would be concerned with is any type of liquid getting in there. Hell i know people that dont use the lower cover either and have not experianced any problems. Now this is something i would not do.
    kingjafu

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:10 pm by kingjafu

when i have that side taken apart i will replace the cover just for my own piece of mind
    92tsifwd

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:33 pm by 92tsifwd

Well I would say do what every you want about the timing cover anyways because its your car. And I dont see what any realistic problem would be by having it off. I bought my Talon and it didnt have one. Think it looks better anyways without lol.
    kingjafu

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:36 pm by kingjafu

anyone have an extra asd relay or mfi relay laying around i need to get this car running today
    kingjafu

Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:30 pm by kingjafu

ok update !! so after the car has now been sitting at my mechanics garage for 2 weeks now and he still hasnt looked at it i figured i would try and troubleshoot it some more , and i think i have it narrowed down to the alternator and from the previous problems i had with it sputtering (which was never resolved ) also points to alternator shorting also noticed that the tensioner for the alternator is not even tight nor is the belt so i am going to replace the alternator and all belts tomorrow and go from there ,,,but htf does one remove the alternator on a 420a ??? i saw someone on another forum removed it from the top after loosening the engine mount which i dont see would give enough clearance any ideas???
    Shake_Zulla

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:41 am by Shake_Zulla

Well there are a couple different ways. The one your talking about is putting a jack under the oil pan and taking off the passenger mounting bracket then lowering the car. I lilke to just pull the intake off and the cruise control box and pull it out the top. Takes me about 15 min.

Post  by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:31 pm